Wolves dominate

GARDEN CORNERS – The Big Bay de Noc Black Bears were able to hang around early in a basketball contest Monday night, but it didn’t take long for the No. 1-ranked Carney-Nadeau Wolves to display their dominance, as they completely took over and won the Central U.P Conference matchup 84-37.

“They shot really well, they’re just a well-oiled machine,” said Black Bears coach Pat Groleau. “They got us into a pace we didn’t want to get into, and it’s pretty hard to stop a team that shoots as well as they did tonight.”

It was evident that Carney was going to shoot the lights out, right out of the gate, as the first play of the game resulted in a steal by the Wolves that ended up in Wade Schetter’s hands for his first of five triples for the night. That was followed by another three-pointer by Austin Johnson, and the Black Bears were already in a 6-0 hole.

However, Big Bay was able to take advantage of Carney’s defense early, as they scored their first seven points in the paint to cut the deficit to two. They went basket for basket for a couple of minutes, but once the Wolves clogged the lane, The Black Bears had difficulty scoring.

On the other hand, Carney had no trouble finding points. Schetter put up back-to-back triples to put some distance on the scoreboard, and Big Bay took a timeout. It did nothing to slow down the Wolves, as they opened back up with a Dionte Blahnik three-pointer and finished the first quarter up 29-14.

“I thought the kids came out with a lot of energy tonight and really played well in the first quarter,” said Wolves coach Jacob Polfus. “They did a great job spreading the floor and feeding off of each other.”

The Black Bears were able to find a little offense as the second quarter began on a couple of jumpers from Nathan Dalgord and Cole Potvin, but Carney’s defense kicked in and frustrated them for remainder of the half. The Wolves picked up right where they left off, shooting at a very high percentage and moving the ball to get good looks for the entire team.

Carney entered the half up 54-23, and there were no signs of letting up when they came back out. With about three minutes remaining in the third, the running clock began as the Wolves had mounted a 67-27 advantage, and it was all but over from there.

“When you get four players in double figures, it’s going to be tough for anybody to stop you,” Polfus added.

Big Bay’s jayvee team edged the Wolves 47-45.

Both teams resume Thursday. The Black Bears (1-4) head to Stephenson. The Wolves (6-0) visit Mid Peninsula.