McFarland man injured in Saturday house fire

McFARLAND – A McFarland man is recovering at a burn center downstate where he is being treated for burns he received when his home caught fire Saturday evening.

Randy Bark, of 2370 RM Road, McFarland, located in southern Marquette County, is being treated at the University of Michigan Trauma Burn Center in Ann Arbor. He was airlifted there from Marquette General Hospital on Saturday, according to Tri-Township Asssitant Fire Chief Wally Trudell of Rock.

Bark was listed in good condition today, according to a burn center spokesperson.

The fire broke out while food was cooking in a toaster oven, said Trudell. Bark managed to escape the home and alert neighbors that his house was on fire. Central Dispatch was called and he was transported by ambulance to Marquette General Hospital.

Firefighters were dispatched to the scene at around 6:30 p.m. Upon arrival, flames were coming from the front door and a side window, said Trudell. Firefighters extinguished the blaze, which caused heavy damage to the structure.

The Gwinn Fire Department arrived to assist but the fire was already put out, said Trudell. Firefighters were at the scene for about two hours.