Home destroyed in blaze

GARDEN TOWNSHIP – Fire destroyed a home in Garden Township on Wednesday, according to the fire chief who said firefighters were at the scene for nearly seven hours.

The Garden Township Volunteer Fire Department was dispatched to a chimney fire reported at 10 a.m. at the home of James Jacques at 16304 17th Road. Several local fire departments were notified to provide mutual aid.

As the blaze progressed, the fire spread to the attic of the mobile home. Weather conditions, including the cold temperatures, hampered firefighting efforts, according to Garden Township Fire Chief Keith Farley who said the trailer was a total loss.

Two people were home at the time of the chimney fire and exited the residence. No injuries were reported. A missing pet cat may have been lost in the fire, said Farley.

Fire departments provided mutual aid from Nahma Township, Inwood Township, and Hiawatha Township. Agencies assisting at the scene included Tri-Star Emergency Medical Services, Delta County Road Commission, and the Red Cross from Delta County and Schoolcraft County.

Firefighters cleared the scene at around 5 p.m., said Farley.