Manistique home damaged in fire

MANISTIQUE – A home in the city of Manistique was extensively damaged by fire which broke out Tuesday afternoon. The owners were not home at the time but their two dogs died in the blaze, according to Manistique Public Safety.

Firefighters were called to the report of a structure fire at 2 p.m. at 513 N. Mackinac St., the home of Frank and Denise Chase. Upon arrival, firefighters observed the kitchen and the rear entry of the residence were fully involved with the fire spreading.

“Officers fought the blaze for about 20 minutes before bringing it under control but remained on the scene for another hour and a half, extinguishing hot spots,” said Public Safety Director Ken Golat in a news release.

“Investigation determined that the fire started in the kitchen area from a faulty metal stove pipe which allowed hot embers and possibly creosote from the wood stove to escape onto the floor, igniting the room on fire,” Golat explained.

The older two-story home was not insured and is likely a total loss due to extensive smoke and heat damage, said Golat. Two dogs were found deceased in the structure and were turned over to the Chase family.

Members of the Schoolcraft County Chapter of the Red Cross were at the scene and offered assistance to the homeowners and firefighters. Michigan State Police provided traffic and crowd control.